New Orca3D Version (2.0.22) Available
We are happy to announce the release of Orca3D Version 2.0.22. This is a free update to Version 2 license holders. If you have a Version 1 license, please click here to purchase an upgrade to Version 2.
To update a previous installation of Orca3D Version 2, use the Control Panel to uninstall your current version. Next, download the installation file from this page. Double-click on the downloaded file to run it, and follow the instructions.
Following is a summary of what is new in Version 2.0.22, as well as the previous releases Versions 2.0.21 and 2.0.20. For information on previous releases, please see the Release Notes.
Release 2.0.22 (August 2021)
- A new set of Orca3D Grasshopper components have been developed. These components are currently a Work-in-Progress and are being distributed in WIP form as part of the main Orca3D release. The current set of Grasshopper components are focused on the intact stability functionality of Orca3D. See the Orca3D Help File for additional information about the components along with some examples demonstrating their usage.
- Made several changes to the Orca3D Marine CFD user interface including: (a) modified the “Launch Simerics Simulation” form to use a list control instead of a dropdown control so that the complete list of created simulations is visible and set the default selection to the file with the latest creation date/time; (b) implemented a requirement to choose a “Hull Type” in the OrcaSimericsAnalysis command to reduce likelihood of users running with an incorrect (default) Hull Type; (c) modified the CFD face attribution logic to collate all meshing errors for a selected object into one message since the mesher can sometimes create many "bad" meshes for a given Rhino object; (d) added a warning if user chooses CFD Mesh Size below Normal so that the user is aware of the implications of this choice; (e) added help text to the "asymmetric run" check box via a link label.
- Extended the OrcaCreateCFDRender command to allow the user to control the free surface filtering that is applied during the command (i.e., whether to filter and the filter magnitude).
- Made the property list form used for selection of real-time hydrostatics values alphanumerically sorted.
- Modified the logic that keeps track of Rhino geometry objects used by Orca3D (i.e., for sectioning) to be more efficient; this addresses long wait times for operations on large numbers of objects (like deleting many points).
- Fixed an issue in Orca3D Marine CFD when calculating the flotation plane for submerged bodies using non-SI units.
- Fixed a bug in stability criteria evaluation when evaluating certain mathematical expressions in the criteria.
- Fixed a string globalization issue in writing a Simerics .spro file with refinement zones.
- Fixed an issue in the Simerics Options form when adjusting the Rhino CAD surface meshes in which any modifications to other parts of the form were lost when returning from the mesh adjustment.
- Modified the OrcaCreateCFDRender command to allow meshes to be selected for the geometry to be rendered.
- Fixed a bug in the scriptable variant of the OrcaHoltropAnalysis command which would prevent it from working properly.
- Fixed a file parsing issue in the CFDReportGenerator when parsing direction vectors from the Simerics .spro file using the local culture instead of the invariant culture
- Fixed a serialization issue related to units for hulls with bulbous bows.
Release 2.0.21 (April 2021)
Orca3D Version 2.0.21 was identical to Version 2.0.20 except that the installer was modified to embed the Microsoft Report Viewer prerequisite installation since the Microsoft download link is no longer supported.
Release 2.0.20 (December 2020)
Our testing has shown that Orca3D 2.0.19 and later works smoothly in Rhino 7, and SubD surfaces are compatible with calculations such as Sections, Hydrostatics & Stability, Speed & Power, and Weight & Cost. Real-time sections currently do not work with SubD models; that is, the sections don’t update as a control point is moved, but they do update when the control point is put down.
- The Orca3D licensing library from CopyMinder has been updated, providing two new features. The first applies to network licenses of Orca3D, where in past versions starting multiple instances of Rhino on the same computer (and loading Orca3D) would consume multiple network license seats. Now multiple instances on the same computer will only consume a single network license seat. This new feature does require a change to your Orca3D network license. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like us to change your license. Installing version 2.0.20 of Orca3D will still work without a change to your license, but the legacy behavior will continue. The second new feature is intended to reduce the likelihood of false positives being detected by anti-virus software when installing Orca3D for all license types.
- Modified the Orca Hull Assistants to change the “Create Hull” button to a dropdown button that allows you to choose from several creation options including (1) Starboard Hull, Deck, Transom, (2) Port Hull, Deck, Transom, (3) Starboard Hull Only, (4) Port Hull Only, (5) Full Model.
- Extended the logic that saves Orca3D plug-in data (e.g. sections, water density, etc.) to also write plug-in data when exporting selected parts of your Rhino model to a new 3dm file.
- Fixed a bug in the Orca3D cross curves of stability calculation in which the initial waterplane height might not be correct for trimmed surface models.
- Update the Help menu links to reference the new Orca3D website URLs.
- Modified the logic for dynamic sizing of the Orca Hydrostatics form to handle text scaling on high DPI (4K) systems. In earlier versions the form buttons were sometimes cut off in the display.
- Fixed an issue in the Orca CFD Render command in which simulation output files which have user-defined variable columns would cause the render to fail (such as in the case for self-propelled simulations)