Orca3D Marine CFD
Orca3D Marine CFD is the combination of the Orca3D marine design plug-in and Simerics Multi-Purpose (MP) CFD software, to provide a fast, accurate, and easy-to-use CFD solution for the naval architect. By combining a specialized interface in Orca3D and a custom template in SimericsMP, we have brought an affordable, powerful, and proven set of analysis tools to the desktop of the designer, without the need to become a specialized CFD expert analyst.
Watch the Orca3D Marine CFD webinar that was held on April 26th, 2017. Watch on YouTube…
Why use CFD?
- Eliminate or reduce model test cost and schedule
- Improve vessel performance
- Increase customer confidence in the performance of your design
With the Orca3D Marine CFD package, you can:
- Run resistance and self-propelled analyses for displacement and planing hulls
- Analyze monohulls and multihulls, with or without appendages
- Include any type of hull features (e.g., steps, trim tabs, etc.)
- Analyze longitudinal dynamic instability (porpoising) for planing hulls
- Compute water and air streamlines
Key benefits of the Orca3D Marine CFD package include:
- Easy to run with confidence, without the need to be a dedicated CFD analyst
- Benchmarked with proprietary and public-domain hulls, against full-scale data, model tests, and other analysis codes, with excellent results
- Fast solver; uses all cores available on the computer
- Multiphase capability accurately models the free surface behavior
- Automated CFD volume meshing in Simerics, using Rhino surface meshes as input
- Automated setup of the domain and wave refinement zone, based on input from Orca3D
- Morphing domain grid, as the vessel heaves and pitches
- Animations of the simulation results (e.g., vessel acceleration, porpoising)
- 2D/3D display of simulation behavior including dynamic pressure, wave elevation, sinkage and trim, and more
There are two parts to the package; Orca3D Level 2 and Simerics CFD. You need both parts to run a CFD simulation.
The Orca3D CFD interface is included in the Level 2 package. The Simerics CFD code is available directly from us with a 3-month or 12-month license, as well as intermittent licenses that allow you to activate the software on a project-by-project basis. Want to learn how Orca3D Marine CFD could improve your design process? Let us give you a live, on-line demonstration, showing how quickly you can go from your Rhino/Orca3D model to accurate, high-fidelity results! Then request an evaluation license, to see for yourself how easy it is to get accurate results.
EXAMPLE BENCHMARKS (click to enlarge any graphics)
Wave Cut Comparison